SPRING WEEK 10
Watch this weeks video to hear more about the following:
VIRTUAL WEDNESDAY & VIRTUAL SUNDAY RUN INSTRUCTIONS
HASHTAGS / BONUS CHECKMARKS
- Create you "To-Don't List". You don't need to share it with anyone. It's the honour system. Take a few minutes to identify what things you need to let go of in order to become more productive, successful or feel better.
- Sunday FB Watch Party - music trivia / karaoke with Steve & Rene @ 8:00pm.
- tag photos with #EarnYourCheckmark / #PaceTrailRuns / #ToDontList / #RespectLife / #GetTheVertBeforeTheVertGetsYou
Week 9: Virtual Wednesday / Sunday
Wednesday & Sunday workout review
- basic workouts this week, however I talk about a focus for Sunday's run.
How to make #thefinalfour weeks more successful review
- goal setting
- rest week review
- all the new videos and update that have been added to the website / performance centre this week.
*Don't forget tomorrow night's BROGA at 7:15pm with Nina Watts.
Yoga here we come!*
MENTOR / STRENGTH
RESISTANCE BAND EXERCISES
Incorporate these exercises into your strength routine 1-2x's per week or you can take your band to the trailhead and use these exercises as part of your warm up prep before performing your speed work on Wednesdays.
Another variation is to pick one of these exercises and do a set in-between your intervals or laps on some workouts for variety.
MENTOR / RECOVERY
POST RUN STRETCHING ROUTINE
It's really easy to blow off stretching after your run. Often we are already thinking of the next place we need to be or what we have to do and stretching post-run seems to be the first thing we dismiss.
When it comes to injury prevention, it's really important to maintain and/or improve mobility. The best way to do this is through consistency. Just like improving your endurance or speed - you have to do it regularly and balance it with rest.
One of the easiest ways to introduce more mobility into your weekly routine is to think about stretching as part of your run. For example, if you have a 45min run on your training plan for this week, schedule 60min so you have time for your post run stretch. If you only have 45min in total, schedule 40min to run and choose 2 target areas to focus your post run stretches on... such as tight hamstrings or quads.
It's easy to say you'll stretch when you get home or fire up that 60min yoga class on your down dog app, but often we are more distracted when we get home and it's less likely you'll fit it in. That's why this week's learn section is all about making stretching part of you run. So make it a goal to stretch after every run starting this week. Even if it's only 5min and you'll start to see how much better you feel, or gain awareness on areas that need more attention such as foam rolling or making a massage appointment.
Spring Week 9
NOTE FROM THE COACH
This week I talk all about seizing opportunities when they present themselves, not only when they're convenient. I also talk about going with the flow and how these two can compliment each other. Learn about this weeks hashtags and more!
- Review and take time for your goal setting for #thefinalfour HERE.
- Review the rest week checklist HERE. Anything you need to adapt?
The Performance section of the website has been updated with the following: CLICK HERE
- NEW foam rolling video uploaded.
- NEW core exercises uploaded.
- NEW workout series you can follow along for a 20-30min workout.
- NEW Resistance band workout.
- NEW Post-run Stretching video to incorporate into your routine.
Need rolling tools? You can use code: PACE20 for 20% off foam rolling tools HERE.
- Happy Birthday Kyle & Ben!
- RETRO TIMES by: PACE / Apple Music users HERE / Spotify users HERE
- Gratitude Video: Watch HERE
EARN YOUR CHECKMARKS
Broga with Nina on Wednesday at 7:15pm on facebook live. (Broga = beer + yoga. beer optional)
CLINIC T-SHIRT PHOTO
Take a selfie or picture of you sporting your new clinic t-shirt with the #pacefamily to earn a bonus point this week!
#pacefamily (clinic t-shirt selfie)
- summer clinic is full. thank you for your support!
GROW - SURRENDER
All the buried seeds
crack open in the dark
the instant they surrender
to a process they can't see
- Mark Nepo
In the spring I begin planting my garden. This week as I start to see blooming and flowers, and plants slowly coming up, I was thinking about the courage of the seeds. Spring is a powerful lesson. All around us - everything small and buried surrenders to a process that none of the buried parts can see. This surrender allows everything edible to break ground and enter into a life that we call Spring. They welcome the rain, they wait for the sun. And we wait, patiently, as these courageous seeds surrender and continue to grow.
In nature, we see so many models of how to give ourselves over to what appears dark and hopeless is really an awakening. This moving through the dark into blossom. As we submit and surrender to the process, and continue to trust, we are taking the first step towards growth. Towards becoming.
One of my yoga teachers said so beautifully in her most recent class that "we get further by surrender than we do with force". There are four lilac bushes in my back yard. For years, we waited for them to bloom. Watering them, talking to them, wondering if they were ever going to produce flowers. This year we saw the first flower and it reminded me that all along they were blooming. That even when we don't see it, the growth is still happening. Even in the stillness, in the rest, in the times you feel you will never be able to keep going. Remember, we get further by surrender than we do with force.
With love & gratitude,
GROW / GRATITUDE CONTINUED
To be grateful means giving thanks for more than just the things we want, but also for the things that surmount our pride and stubbornness. Sometimes the things I've wanted and worked for, if I actually received them, would have crushed me. Sometimes just giving thanks for the mystery of it all brings everything and everyone closer, the way suction pulls streams of water together. So take a chance and openly give thanks, even if you're not sure what for, and feel the plenitude of all that is living brush up against your heart.
With love & gratitude,
Spring Week 8
As we enter week 8 we close our our 2nd build phase it's impressive to see how far we have come since the start of the clinic. Embracing change, adapting to this new normal and yet, still being very successful when it comes to our achievements, our outlooks and how we've chosen to stay connected.
This week will feel like a push for many of us. We may start the week tried, more achy and our workouts might need more "warm up" time, need to stay in an easier effort. We have one more week to build our fitness before our next rest week. Get in touch with how you're feeling and don't be afraid to back off if you feel like you're already processing a healthy level of stress for your body right now. Although we're following a "program" - remember that not everyone fits into a particular way of doing things. #befree to make your own choices and create a journey that feels good to you.
Some of our crew is fighting through some niggles and may remain in the #dothelittlethings phase for another week. This is okay. You need to know that others have had ups and downs in their journey this spring and we all need to stay focused on our own individual needs and journey.
Don't get sucked into comparing to others or trying to keep up to anyone around you right now. #BeFree to make good choices for you... continue by watching week 8's video above.
"a group of friends that feels like a family is priceless. your intuitions brought you together to lift each other up and protect one another. the time you spend together is truly precious, empowering and rejuvenating. always laughing, learning and facing the ups and downs as one."
Steve and Anthony have put together an entertaining and helpful video on how to upload a GPX route from Strava to your watch this week. Watch it HERE. **Thank you Steve and Anthony for helping with this project*
This week we return to the mat with the lovely Natalie Bishop to continue learning more about our breath. Natalie has provided new exercises for you to practice as your mentor section for this week. Click HERE to learn more.
This week we are continuing with gratitude. Click HERE to read more.
- Happy Birthday to Marni King & Jennifer Miller this week!
THIS WEEK'S CHECKMARKS
#RetroTimes (optional but fun)
1. Take a minute to update any checkmarks for workouts or postings you have made during this next phase. The draw party is this Sunday AT 7:15pm so you'll want your checkmarks all up-to-date!
2. Attend Natalie's breath workshop on Wednesday at 7:15pm on FB live or complete the session afterwards on your own time.
3. Submit a song for a new playlist: RETRO TIMES by P.A.C.E.
- choose a song from the first album you ever bought, or from the first band/artist you remember really loving or making an impact on your life. This artist, band or song should be one that takes you back to a moment in time where music really impacted you. #RetroTimes
- Thank you to everyone who has signed up for the summer clinic!
- Registration opens to the public on May 20th (this Wednesday).
- This Sunday at 7:15pm is our next Facebook Live Video for our phase II accountability draw prizes!!!
WEDNESDAY & SUNDAY WORKOUTS
LEARN / LOADING GPX TO YOUR WATCH
Thanks to Steve and Anthony for this creative and super informative easy to follow tutorial on how to load a GPX file from Strava to your watch.
Week 7's bonus checkmark was following the PACE Sports Fitness Group on Strava. It was also a nudge for some of you to who aren't on Strava to check it out because there are some functions that can be really helpful with your route planning. Strava allows you to keep your workouts private or choose which workouts you want to share, for anyone who has privacy concerns.
If anyone has any questions on this video or uploading files to your watch, please reach out to one of us!
VIRTUAL SUNDAY / WEEK 7
- this weeks virtual sunday brought to you by Coach R in her Pajazzzzma's
- longest run of the spring clinic coming up this weekend!
- coach R takes a walk back in memory hashtag lane to help inspire and motivate everyone.
MOTIVATION STATION FOR THIS SUNDAY
appreciate the small steps forward, the simple victories, all of the little things you do that help keep the momentum moving towards your goals. expecting immediate and massive results makes your mind stormy. respect small beginnings, in time, they create giant changes.
This space will essentially become a diary for the spring clinic. I will be uploading weekly videos to share information, motivation and instructions on particular workouts or the new clinic format.